Spirited second-half fightback not enough as Consett bow out of FA Cup at Dunston

A spirited second-half comeback was not enough to prevent Consett tumbling out of this season’s FA Cup at the first hurdle after a disastrous opening 45 minutes in tonight’s Extra Preliminary Round replay at Dunston.

The Steelmen were given a lesson in finishing by last season’s Northern League champions, and found themselves 4-0 down at half-time, though they hit the woodwork twice themselves.

They scored twice in three minutes early in the second half to give themselves a foothold back in the game, and were the better side for much of the half, but a fifth goal at the death gave the final scoreline a slightly harsh look.

Dunston took the lead in the 17th minute when centre-back Dan Capewell headed in at the back post, but Luke Carr almost equalised immediately for Consett when his 20-yarder crashed off the top of the bar.

The Steelmen hit the woodwork again on the half-hour when a Jake Stafford shot was turned onto the post by his former teammate Karl Dryden, and the visitors were well in the game.

However, it all began to unravel in the 36th minute when they failed to deal with a left-wing corner, and the ball was crashed home by Mark Fitzpatrick.

Four minutes later it was 3-0 as Consett failed to deal with another ball into the box, and Liam Brooks fired into the corner.

And on 43 minutes Dunston scored for the third time in seven minutes to give the half-time scoreline a slightly unrealistic look, Fitzpatrick finishing after chasing a long ball over the top.

Consett made a double change at half-time, bringing on Ross Wilkinson and Nick Allen, and within five minutes they had a lifeline when captain Arjun Purewal headed in from Luke Carr’s corner.

Two minutes later the visitors were right back in it when Calvin Smith headed in from close range from a Carr free-kick.

Dunston managed to steady themselves, though Consett substitute Lewis McGeoch could have set up an interesting last finale if he hadn’t fired over in the 87th minute from Purewal’s knockdown.

Instead, the last word went to Dunston, whose captain Dan Halliday made it 5-2 in the second minute of injury time, with a shot which took a wicked deflection past Consett keeper Kyle Hayes.

  • Full match report and more pictures to follow.

Gary Welford