On this day in our history: 15 April 2006 – Consett clinch the 2nd Division title with six games to spare

There was cause for celebration on this day 14 years ago as we clinched the Arngrove Northern League 2nd Division championship with a 6-2 win over bottom club Peterlee Newtown at Belle Vue Park.

But the visitors, who had conceded 21 goals in their previous two games, made the Steelmen work hard for their victory, even at one stage taking the lead, before Consett powered to victory with four second half goals.

Manager Kenny Lindoe made four changes to the side that had won at Spennymoor in midweek. In came Gary Ormston, Robbie Blemings, Andrew Bulford and Chris Douglas, while Mark Patterson, Damian Maw, Scott MacDonald and Kraig Wilkinson made way.

The home side went close twice in the opening 10 minutes, with Michael Mackay dragging a shot across the face of goal after a turn on the edge of the box, then Steven Brown’s shot came back off the post following a Mackay pass.

But on 11 minutes the visitors took a shock lead when Blemings’ untidy challenge on Carl Winspear was judged to be a foul and Peterlee were awarded a penalty. Winspear himself made no mistake from the spot.

But the lead was short lived as Consett hit back four minutes later. Bulford’s cross was met by Ormston, whose header came back off the post, but Douglas was on hand to fire the rebound home from 15 yards. A minute later Colin McKenzie shot just wide from the edge of the area, then at the other end Peterlee threatened when Wardale shot wide following a corner.

Chris Douglas equalised for Consett. Pic: John Paul Hardy.

Peterlee keeper Gretton made a good save to keep out Douglas’ header after 23 minutes, but just after the half-hour Consett took the lead. Again Gretton made a fine save to deny Carl Piecha, but from the rebound Piecha set up Bulford, who headed home from six yards.

But surprisingly The Newtowners hit back to level four minutes before the interval. They were awarded a free-kick 25 yards out and Griffin’s thunderbolt strike flew past a bemused John Mohan in the Consett goal.

Half Time: Consett 2-2 Peterlee

Five minutes after the break Gretton dived to his right to deny Bulford, but a minute later the home side took the lead for a second time when Ormston headed home from Douglas’ right-wing corner. A couple of minutes later Mackay had a header clawed away by the keeper.

Gary Ormston made it 3-2 to Consett. Pic: John Paul Hardy.

But Consett’s leading scorer wasn’t denied for long and Mackay made it 4-2 after 62 minutes when he dribbled through the defence to slot home. The game was as good as over by now and it was just a matter of how many the home side would get. After 71 minutes substitute Wilkinson’s corner was headed goalward by Piecha, but it was cleared off the line.

With seven minutes to go Consett went nap again when Wilkinson set up fellow substitute Alan Oliver, who slotted home with ease. The sixth goal came in the 89th minute when Bulford clipped the ball into the middle, and Mackay made no mistake from close range.

Sub Alan Oliver got on the scoresheet to make it 5-2. Pic: John Paul Hardy.

At the final whistle the celebrations began, with ‘We Are The Champions’ blasting out over the tannoy as the Steelmen clinched the title with six games to go. They were presented with the trophy before the following home game against Crook Town, pictured top.

There was no happy ending for the visitors, however, as they were relegated to the Northern Alliance at the end of the season. They changed their name to Peterlee Town, and switched a few years later to the Wearside League, where they still play.

Consett: 1 John Mohan, 2 Gary Ormston (sub Alan Oliver 68), 3 David Johnson (sub Paul Curry 74), 4 Carl Piecha, 5 David Anderson, 6 Robbie Blemings, 7 Colin McKenzie (sub Kraig Wilkinson 63), 8 Steven Brown, 9 Andrew Bulford, 10 Michael Mackay, 11 Chris Douglas.
Peterlee: 1 Gretton, 2 McCartney, 3 Robinson, 4 Courtney, 5 Griffin, 6 McDough, 7 Conley, 8 Orton (sub Reed 74), 9 Wardale, 10 C. Winspear, 11 K. Winspear.

Gary Welford