Manager sees red after mistakes prove costly for Consett as they’re beaten at Brighouse

Consett tumbled to their fourth defeat in five Northern Premier League games today as a series of individual errors saw them lose 3-1 at Brighouse Town.

The Steelmen found themselves two goals down at half-time at the Heffernan Utilities Stadium, and although Zak Atkinson’s fourth goal of the season got them back in the game, they conceded again after being caught on the break as they chased an equaliser.

Tony Fawcett’s side looked lacklustre from the start, and Brighouse had already had a couple of chances before taking the lead in the 15th minute.

Centre-forward Mohammad Qasim caught Dan Capewell in possession and ran through on goal. Consett keeper James Anderson had already thwarted the No 9 in an identical situation, but this time couldn’t prevent him scoring.

On 24 minutes Brighouse scored again, and this time Anderson was at fault, spilling Joshua Grant’s free-kick to give Alexander Phillipson a simple tap-in.

Scott Fenwick missed a couple of headed chances as Consett sought a way back into the game, but they almost went in three-down at the break when Phillipson’s header clipped the top of the bar.

Consett remained unchanged at half-time, but made a bold triple substitution on 61 minutes, bringing on Zak Atkinson, Wil Shaw and Kaleb Young.

It looked to have paid dividends when Atkinson had the ball in the net five minutes later after a great run and pass by Jake Orrell, but the striker was flagged offside, despite Consett’s protestations that a defender on or over the goal-line was playing him on.

Consett were enjoying their best spell of the game, and on 69 minutes they scored a goal that did count, as Zak Atkinson headed home from Ben Ramsey’s inch-perfect cross, pictured below (by Keith Marley).

Atkinson fired another chance just over as a vastly-improved Consett pushed for a leveller, and in the 85th minute Brighouse keeper Harry Garman pulled off a match-winning save from Jack Gibbons’ well-struck shot.

The momentum remained with Consett, despite Brighouse’s time-wasting tactics, but on 88 minutes the home side broke quickly down the right, and Myron Gibbons took advantage of a mistake by Capewell to fire in at the near post and make it 3-1.

Three more bookings in the eight minutes of added time took the total to 10 in a game where there was scarcely a bad tackle – five for each side.

And there was more drama after the final whistle when Consett manager Tony Fawcett was shown a red card for a comment to the referee – a sour footnote to an disappointing away-day.

  • Full match report, stats, and picture gallery to follow.

Gary Welford