Consett make it three wins in a row despite late Grantham Town fightback

Consett won their third NPL game in a row today, but were made to fight all the way by Grantham Town before claiming a 3-2 victory.

The Steelmen got off to a flying start at Belle View Stadium, scoring three times in the first 10 minutes, but were left hanging on to the three points as the Gingerbreads came back strongly in the second half.

The opener came in the sixth ininute as Consett broke quickly from a Grantham corner. Jake Orrell started the move, heading clear in his own box, and Scott Fenwick picked up possession.

He fed the ball out wide to Ben Ramsey on the left, and his pinpoint cross picked out Wil Shaw‘s run to the back post, where the in-form forward scored his third goal in as many games.

Two minutes later it was 2-0, and this time it was a fine individual goal from Ben Ramsey. He received the ball out wide, cut inside and fire home at the near post.

Ben Ramsey fires home to make it 2-0 to Consett. Pic: Kenny Taylor. Top pic: Keith Marley.

Incredibly, on 10 minutes, it was 3-0 when a defender handled in the box as Shaw tried to go past him. Scott Fenwick stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Consett thought they’d scored a fourth in the 36th minute when Josh Baggs headed home from close range, but he was denied by an offside flag.

Josh Baggs had this ‘goal’ disallowed for offside. Pic: Kenny Taylor.

It remained 3-0 at half-time, with Consett seemingly in control, but to Grantham’s credit, they took the initiative from the first whistle of the second half and were the better side.

Centre-back Chris Salt had a great chance on 51 minutes, but missed from a few yards out, and five minutes later Consett were grateful to James Anderson for a good save from Harry Lovick.

Grantham kept plugging away, and rewarded their noisy following, who backed them throughout, by reducing the arrears in the 83rd minute through Harry Lovick.

Then in added time, Elliott Walker made it 3-2 with a free-kick into the bottom corner, to set up a nervous finale.

Grantham almost snatched a draw right at the death when lively sub Harry Olivant set up Greg Smith, but the big striker’s header was saved by Anderson, and the points were Consett’s.

Gary Welford