Depleted Consett’s winning streak comes to an end after poor performance at Bridlington Town

Consett’s four-match winning run came to an end in emphatic fashion today when they were well beaten 3-0 at Bridlington Town.

Tony Fawcett’s team was down to the bare bones due to injury and suspension, which meant a first start of the season for Adam Mitchell.

He had Consett’s only chance of a one-sided first half, but couldn’t force Bridlington keeper James Hitchcock into anything more than a routine save.

The home side had already missed four chances when they took the lead on 21 minutes. Consett keeper James Anderson had just made a good save from Andy Norfolk’s free-kick, but could do little about Bridlington’s goal from the resulting corner.

Norfolk’s deep flag-kick was headed back into the danger area by Jack Walters, where Brid skipper James Williamson was quickest to react to head home from close range.

On the brink of half-time Bridlington, who were one of the division’s form teams with four wins in their last five games, doubled their advantage.

Consett lost possession from a throw-in on the left, and No 9 Lewis Dennison, who’d caused problems from the start, went on a bustling run, which ended with him beating Anderson at his near post for 2-0.

Two goals down at half-time, Consett had a mountain to climb, but almost regained a foothold back in the game on 49 minutes when Jake Orrell’s pass found Dan Capewell, whose well-struck shot came back off the post.

The miss was to prove crucial, as Bridlington broke quickly through dangerman Ali Aydemir, whose cross found Glen Sani at the back post. His shot was deflected, but the ball broke to Matty Dixon, who headed home to make it 3-0.

If a two-goal deficit was going to be difficult to claw back, three goals was impossible, and although Consett huffed and puffed as they sought a lifeline, Bridlington saw out the game with ease.

  • Full match report, stats, picture gallery and manager interview to follow.

Gary Welford