Bootle v Consett



Consett were knocked out of the FA Trophy at the first hurdle as a severely depleted side suffered a 6-2 defeat by Bootle on Merseyside.

Manager Tony Fawcett was missing seven players, and was forced to give 20-year-old Reserves goalkeeper Cieran Ure his first-team debut at the Berry Street Garage Stadium.

And although they were in the game for an hour, it was a well-beaten side who trudged off at the end.

It might have all been so different if a Consett ‘goal’ in the seventh minute had been allowed to stand, as Scott Fenwick volleyed home from Ben Ramsey’s excellent left-wing cross, only to be ruled offside.

On 31 minutes Owen Robinson found space in the area to get a shot away, but it flew narrowly over, while at the other end Ryan McKinnon sent a glancing header wide from a free-kick.

Bootle took the lead on 36 minutes after a close-range finish by debutant Bailey Thompson, who was set up by Andy Scarisbrick after a mistake in the visiting backline.

On 40 minutes Thompson – signed the day before the game from NPL Premier Division side Hyde United – tried his luck again, but his volley cleared the crossbar. A tight game with nothing to choose between the sides remained 1-0 at half-time, with little to suggest the avalanche of goals which would follow in the second half.

Half-time: Bootle 1 Consett 0

Consett began the second half strongly, and on 49 minutes Ramsey’s cross-shot clipped the underside of the bar and bounced to safety. Two minutes later Bootle keeper Sam Ashton made a vital save from Wil Shaw, getting a strong hand to his well-struck effort.

The Steelmen levelled in the 55th minute when Jack Gibbons floated in a lovely free-kick from the right and Dan Capewell powered home a header for his first competitive goal of the season.

But disaster struck just three minutes later when Gibbons fouled Mason Fawns in the box, and Owen Robinson stepped up to restore Bootle’s lead from the penalty spot.

Fenwick almost replied immediately with a header by Fenwick from Zak Atkinson’s cross, but it was off target, so it was a big blow as some poor defending on 63 minutes allowed Bootle sub Sam Burns, who has just been released by Blackburn Rovers, an easy finish to make it 3-1.

Consett made a double substitution on 69 minutes, bringing on Josh Baggs and Adam Mitchell for Gibbons and Shaw, but it was Bootle who found the next goal on 72 minutes, to quash any thoughts of a comeback.

A quick break down the left saw the ball crossed deep to the back post, where right-back Ethen Vaughan stole in to fire a shot back across the keeper and into the far corner. It was his last contribution to the game, as he injured himself in the process of scoring.

Ure made a couple of saves, from Burns and Craig Carney, to keep the score down as Bootle poured forward, and Dan Capewell gave Consett slim hopes of an unlikely comeback, firing home from a few yards in the 85th minute, pictured top, after Ramsey and Jake Orrell both had efforts saved.

The hobbling Capewell, who’d been pushed up front, had another chance to set up a grandstand finish a minute later, heading just wide from another free-kick, but it was Bootle who scored again in the first minute of added time.

Consett backed off Andy Scarisbrick and allowed him to smash a screamer into the top corner via the crossbar in the first minute of added time.

To add insult to injury, the home side scored again in the 94th minute, with Andy Scarisbrick taking advantage of a mistake by Ure to make it 6-2 with the last kick of the game.


Date Time Competition Season
09/09/2023 3:00 pm FA Trophy 2023-24


New Bucks Park
Berry Street Garage Stadium, Vesty Business Park, Bootle L30 1NY, UK