Consett v Spennymoor Town



Consett gave their new pink third strip a perfect debut when they beat Spennymoor Town in the Durham Challenge Cup at a blustery Belle View.

The Steelmen had one of the toughest ties of the 1st Round against their former Northern League rivals – now flying high in the National League North.

But a goal in each half was enough to ensure Tony Fawcett’s side progressed to the next round, despite a late Moors fightback.

The manager made three changes to the side which had lost to Ossett United in the previous game, with skipper Matty Slocombe returning for Kaleb Young, Ben Milburn replacing the injured Ryan McKinnon and Jake Orrell in for Jack Gibbons.

Spennymoor, who were last season’s beaten finalists, had seven first-team players in their starting XI, and another couple on the bench.

Consett had a strong wind at their back in the first half, and it almost helped Orrell open the scoring twice, first with a corner which hit the post, and then with a long-range free-kick which came back off the bar.

When they did take the lead on 26 minutes it was with a route one goal. Keeper James Anderson launched a huge clearance downfield, and indecision between Spennymoor’s young keeper Ryan Johnson and one of his defenders allowed Ben Ramsey to steal in, take a great touch round the keeper and tap in for 1-0.

It could have been 2-0 almost immediately when a cross was hung up to the back post where Scott Fenwick sent a looping header back across goal which dropped just wide.

Ten minutes later Consett had a big penalty shout when Fenwick went down under challenge as he chased a ball into the box, but the referee waved the appeals away.

Half-time: Consett 1 Spennymoor Town 0

The second half saw Spennymoor make an attacking change by bringing on their top scorer Glen Taylor, but it was Consett who threatened first, with Wil Shaw cutting inside from the left but dragging his shot wide.

Connor Shanks fired a tame shot at Anderson, and Moors almost used the wind to their advantage on 72 minutes when Sam Fielding’s left-wing corner was nearly blown in directly at the far post, but the Consett keeper adjusted well to push it away, and it was his side who got the game’s vital second goal.

Gibbons, who’d only been on the pitch two minutes, won a free-kick by drawing a foul from right-back Hari Bondarenko, winning a free-kick and earning the No 2 a booking. Up stepped Jake Orrell, who sent a superb dipping free-kick into the far top corner, which had the keeper grasping at thin air. Watch the video below.


The goal prompted Spennymoor to show their attacking teeth and last, and Glen Taylor pulled a goal back in the 81st minute when he headed in a free-kick from a few yards out.

Moors threw men forward in an attempt to force a late equaliser which would have meant a penalty shoot-out, but it was Consett who came closest to scoring again, when Fenwick’s lob over Johnson just failed to clear the keeper’s fingertips.

It mattered not, because the Steelmen saw the game out comfortably to claim their place in the 2nd Round.





Date Time Competition Season
10/10/2023 7:30 pm Durham Challenge Cup 2023-24


Belle View Stadium
Belle view stadium, Delves Lane, Consett DH8 7BF, United Kingdom


Spennymoor Town1Loss


James Anderson Goalkeeper
Josh Baggs Defender
Arjun Purewal Defender
Matty Slocombe Midfielder
Ben Milburn Defender
Dan Capewell Defender
Wil Shaw Midfielder
Jake Orrell Midfielder 77'
Scott Fenwick Forward
Calvin Smith Midfielder
Ben Ramsey Midfielder 26'
Jack Gibbons Midfielder 80'
Kaleb Young Midfielder
Zak Atkinson Forward
Luke Spoor Goalkeeper

Spennymoor Town

Ryan Johnson Goalkeeper
Hari Bondarenko Defender 76'
Harry Stewart Defender
Glen Taylor Forward 81'
Callum Ross Midfielder
Michael Ledger Defender
Sam Fielding Defender
Connor Shanks Midfielder
Dan Atkinson Midfielder
Riley Mouat Forward
Will Harris Forward
Rob Ramshaw Midfielder 88'
Corey McKeown Midfielder
Ben Pollock Defender
Jack Chapman Forward
Kingston Butler Forward