Kendal Town v Consett



Consett got their season off to a fantastic start as a superb second-half display saw The Steelmen win 4-1 away to Kendal Town in the Extra Preliminary Round of the FA Cup.

The visitors trailed at the break to a stoppage-time goal from Steven Yawson, however second half goals from Zak Atkinson, Ben Ramsey and a brace from sub Scott Fenwick were enough to advance to the next round.

Manager Tony Fawcett gave full debuts to six players: goalkeeper James Anderson, defender Harvey Smith, midfielder Kaleb Young, and attackers Jack Gibbons, Wil Shaw and Ben Ramsey, and although there were a number of players missing due to injury and other commitments, Consett still had a strong bench, including Fenwick and Jake Orrell.

Kendal had already started their season and came into the game full of confidence, after winning their first two league matches – both by 1-0 scorelines.

Despite travelling over in heavy rain almost all the way, the game started in dry conditions and on a very good surface. Consett had the first effort in the third minute as Zak Atkinson sent a header from a Ramsey corner just wide, although in truth the keeper looked to have it covered anyway.

On six minutes Kendal almost took the lead as a right-wing free-kick found centre-forward James Bailey eight yards out and his volley cannoned off the Consett crossbar.

The action was going from end to end, and 10 minutes in Kaleb Young picked out Ramsey with an perfect crossfield ball. The former Morpeth man drove into the penalty area and hit a firm effort which was well blocked.

The home side threatened again on 13 minutes as Anderson made a hash of a clearance, playing the ball straight to Bailey, but the keeper redeemed himself, getting back quickly to save the resulting effort.

In the 21st minute it was Consett’s turn to hit the woodwork as good work from Gibbons saw him send a cross in from the right which Young headed onto the top of the bar.

The first 20 minutes had been played at a frantic pace and understandably it started to slow down. The teams looked evenly matched and to be heading into the break level.

That was until the third minute of stoppage time, when Harvey Smith played a poorly-judged back pass to Anderson which allowed the lively Steven Yawson to intercept the ball and finish low past the keeper. Consett didn’t have time to respond and went in at the break a goal down.

Half-time: Kendal Town 1 Consett 0

No changes were made at the interval, but there was a noticeable change in Consett’s tempo and they were straight on the front foot and making inroads into the Kendal defence.

The reward came on 53 minutes as Gibbons set Zak Atkinson away on goal. The striker’s initial effort was superbly saved by Kendal keeper Chris Cheetham, but the No 9 was quickest to react and slotted the rebound home.

Only three minutes later, the game was completely turned around as Ben Ramsey scored a fantastic goal. The winger took the ball down on the edge of the area and turned past two defenders before slamming an unstoppable shot past the keeper.

Consett were in full flow and almost extended their lead on the hour mark as Atkinson attempted an audacious lob from 30 yards, but Cheetham just got back in time to tip the ball over the bar.

Despite their dominance, Consett were issued with a warning on 72 minutes as Kendal whipped in a free-kick from the right and Anderson did very well to hold onto a close-range effort that seemed to come off a Consett defender.

The visitors were soon back on the front foot and extended their lead on 76 minutes, with Ramsey involved again. The No 11 hit an effort from the edge of the area that the keeper could only parry to the edge of the box, and sub Scott Fenwick connected on the half volley, crashing the ball into the roof of the net.

Any doubt about the result was removed two minutes from time as Scott Fenwick got his second and Consett’s fourth as he met a lovely free-kick from fellow sub Orrell to head Consett into the next round.

The referee indicated nine minutes added minutes, and in fairness to Kendal they kept going and almost reduced the arrears deep into stoppage time as sub Brandon Crosskell-Robinson burst into the area and saw his effort crash off the upright.

The final whistle soon came and all that was left to do was for the Consett team to thank the large travelling contingent of the Conny Army and look forward to the next round against our old Northern League friends Penrith.




Date Time Competition Season
05/08/2023 3:00 pm FA Cup 2023-24


Parkside Road Stadium
Park Side Road, Kendal LA9 7BL


Kendal Town1Loss